Do you want to add custom graphics to your acrylic sheets but don’t know how? Printing on acrylic can be difficult.
But we’ve got you covered. Our team has years of experience printing on acrylic, and we’re here to help you get the best results for your project.
With our online guide and video tutorial, you’ll be able to create beautiful prints that will last for years.
Two Methods Of Printing Acrylic
There are two ways to print on acrylic. The first is to delegate the work to a professional team. The second option is to do it yourself with simple tools.
Both options have their benefits and drawbacks, so choosing the one that best suits your needs is essential. So here are the detailed steps for both methods:
Screen Printing On Acrylic Sheets
When screen printing on acrylic sheets, the first step is to clean the surface thoroughly with a soft cloth and alcohol-free cleaner.
Next, create or find the screen print design and print it onto transfer paper. Place the transfer paper face down onto the acrylic sheet and use a squeegee to press the design onto the surface firmly.
Once the design is transferred, place the acrylic sheet into an oven set to 150-200 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes before gradually increasing the temperature until it reaches 320 degrees Fahrenheit.
Finally, remove from heat, allow to cool before peeling off the transfer paper, and admire your screen-printed acrylic masterpiece!
Remember that screen printing on acrylic is best suited for smaller designs due to its fragility.
To ensure the longevity of your screen-printed design, it’s essential to seal it with a clear coat finish.
Digital Printing On Acrylic Sheets
Printing on acrylic surfaces can be tricky, but digital printing offers a reliable solution.
First, the acrylic surface should be wiped with a lint-free cloth to remove any dust or debris.
Next, the digital design is printed onto transfer paper and placed onto the acrylic surface.
Using a plastic squeegee, apply pressure to ensure that the design adheres evenly to the surface.
Finally, use an oven or heat press to set the design onto the acrylic.
And voila – you now have a professional-looking print on your acrylic surface!
Keep in mind that this digital printing method works best on flat acrylic surfaces; if working with curved or 3D shapes, consult a professional for alternative printing methods.
Do It Yourself With Simple Tools
This option is ideal for those who want to save money or enjoy DIY projects. It is possible to print on acrylic yourself using a few simple steps.
- Clean the surface of the acrylic sheet with a mild soap and water solution.
- Use a lint-free cloth to dry the surface completely.
- Once the surface is clean and dry, apply a thin layer of tacky primer to the surface.
- Position your printed image on the surface and secure it with painter’s tape.
- Use a spray painter or roll-on paint to apply an even coat of color over the entire surface. Allow the paint to dry completely before removing the taped image.
You can easily print on acrylic sheets at home with time and effort.
What Is Acrylic Printing
Before understanding how to print, first understand what acrylic printing is.
An acrylic print is a type of printing that uses acrylic paint as the medium. The paint is applied to a substrate, such as paper or fabric, and then cured, or set, using heat or ultraviolet (UV) light.
This type of print is often used for reproductions of paintings or photographs. Acrylic prints have great detail and color saturation, making them ideal for acceptable art applications.
In addition, they are waterproof and resistant to fading, making them a durable choice for indoor and outdoor displays.
Acrylic prints can be displayed in various ways, including framed, unframed, mounted, or unmounted.
They can also be hung using traditional picture hangers or float mounted on the wall using clear standoffs.
No matter how you display your acrylic print, it will surely add beauty and interest to any space.
Advantages Of Acrylic Print
Acrylic print has gained immense popularity in the field of advertising and promotion. Its advantages are many, which is the main reason for its growing preference over other printing materials.
- It is highly durable as compared to other prints.
- It does not get damaged easily and can withstand rough handling.
- It is water resistant and thus can be used for outdoor promotions.
- It comes in various colors and designs, which helps attract more customers.
- It is also economical as compared to other printing materials.
Common Problems And Solutions
Acrylic prints are becoming increasingly popular due to their vibrant colors and durability. However, a few common problems can occur during the printing process.
- One of the most common problems is delamination, where the print lifts away from the substrate. This can be caused by inadequate adhesive or improper curing. To prevent delamination, it is vital to use a high-quality acrylic adhesive and cure at the recommended temperature and time.
- Another common problem is yellowing, which is caused by UV light exposure. It is essential to use a UV-resistant varnish or laminate to prevent yellowing.
- Bubbling can occur if the print is exposed to excessive heat or humidity. To prevent bubbling, storing the print in a cool, dry place is essential.
By taking these precautions, you can ensure that your acrylic print will last for years.
Overall, printing on acrylic can be a great way to create unique and eye-catching displays for your business or home.
By following the tips we’ve outlined in this post, you should be able to produce high-quality prints that look great and stand out from the competition.